100_0838My wife wrote in the last blog of the waiting period we experienced after our first mission trip and the need we had to find funds for a well at the orphanage site. Through ways and means that I still do not understand, the funds came in and I, along with Pastor David and Benjamin, a member of his church, left for Malawi on Nov. 27 2012. We had a 2 week time slot to attend to getting a well or borehole dug. I had found a company that agreed to drill a well for $7000, but 3 days before our departure time, this company backed out. As our whole purpose for going was to oversee this matter I was a little shell shocked. Frantically I searched the internet trying to find anyone who could help me or point me to someone who could fulfill this need. I believe God led me to a company based in the United States who was digging wells not only in Malawi, but in the very area I would be in! After talking to the owner, he told me that he believed they could drill two wells for that price. We were astounded. Let me remind you that anytime there is a victory, you can count on a counter attack, and we had several.

The first thing that happened was the Pastor got very ill, we figured out later it must have been a slight heat stroke. We prayed and he got well. Then after 3 attempts to drill the well, we had to drill at another site for a well where the soil did not contain layers of rock. We arranged for a bigger rig to come to the orphanage site. We rejoiced to see this “big rig” on the way to the site where clean, pure water would soon flow. As we all know, there is never a time when we think all is well, especially in Africa. This would be no different. Here is how an ordinary day in Malawi went. Before we even get the big rig off the main road, we had to stop for repairs. After about an hour wait as they welded something back together, we were off. Traveling at a snail’s pace we encountered a large truck blocking the one lane trail. We have traveled this road every day for two weeks and never even seen a car, but now on this exciting day we find a broken down truck. After another hour wait the rig was going again after the people fixed their truck. We were to fly back to the States on the next day so this was our last chance to see this rig in action. “NO WORRIES” I was told, this rig will drill the hole in 3 hours. Our hopes ran high as there was at least 5 hours of daylight left. As we traveled in a small 4-wheel drive truck, leading the way, we soon lost sight of the rig. We turned around and found it sitting on the side of the trail. It was out of gas. Yes, out of gas in the bush country. I could only laugh by this time, but the events in Africa never ends. Four hours till dark, but now we have petrol. Forward Ho! We are now within 5 miles of the site. We pull ahead but the rig doesn’t follow. We call and find out the rig is stuck in the mud. The sun is now setting and the rig is still stuck in the mud. I am assured that help is on the way. We can’t stay any longer so we turn back and head back to the city.

My last look at the “big rig” is one where nature is having the last laugh as the rig is held fast in its muddy grip. I learned later after we arrived back in the United States,

One of the first 3 attempts at drilling with the small rig

One of the first 3 attempts at drilling with the small rig

that the rig was pulled out of the mud, but got stuck one more time during that 5 mile stretch. Thanks be to God, the well did get drilled and as of now is producing clean water to several villages in that area.

Don Postell